There was an interesting thread over on the Blackmagic Forum yesterday.
- First, Kristian Lam of Blackmagic Design announces that the Camera v1.4.2 update addresses the "Black Sun" effect
- Next, BMPCC shooter David Talbert tests it out:
- It seems to work. Thanks and kudos all around.
- But BMCC shooters soon realize that the fix is for the BMPCC only and does not fix their camera's similar problem.
- BMCC shooters are not amused.
- Thread devolves into angry ad hominem insults and oaths to 'never buy a BM camera again'.
I have been tempted over the past few days to turn around and sell my pre-ordered (April 26th) BMPCC at a mark-up as soon as it arrives (they're selling for $1300-$1400 right now on eBay) in order to "upgrade" to a $1995 BMCC.
But why sell a camera that the company is actively working to fix - in favor of a camera the company has ignored for over a year?
Upon reflection, I think I'll go ahead and open the Pocket Cinema Camera when it gets here - at the very least so I can shoot the detailed side-by-sides with the GH3 I've promised everyone.
If you're in the market for a GH3, a BMPCC or a BMCC, please click on one of the links above or the display ads below. It won't cost you anything extra, and it will help to keep these posts coming. Thanks!